Wednesday 8 April 2015

Sooo.... Could I possibly have Fine Natural Hair?

So I bumped into a friend in the gym today and she has the cutest TWA and I remarked on how i wish my hair could pull a hairstyle like that, to which she responded surely when it shrinks you can pull it off, and i said nah my hair doesn't actually shrink that much and she says 'Oh your hair is fine'... ding dong i see the light now.


Heat Free Stretching - December 2015
From the pic above its clear that i don't have the same hair texture or density that many naturals that i see have.  When i embarked on my journey i refused to jump onto the typing bandwagon but was determined to learn as I go what works for my hair and what doesn't.

My hair has always been fine and low density even when I was relaxed. However i did think this would be a thing of the past when i turned natural. As a result when it comes to styling my hair, my twists have never been the thick, luscious full type and my braid out, twist out and bantu knots have zero curl definition. I prefer to heatless stretch my hair using African threading and then just wearing it lose.

So since i now acknowledge that i have fine hair, its imperative that i wear more protective styles such that my hair can be left alone for several days at a time if i am going to gain length. To do this as i am going to rely on African Threading mainly as i find since i do it by myself it is kinder on my edges and i will re-evaluate my progress when i have my length check in at the end of June.

I will also be turning down my moisturising routine, I have always been a bit heavy handed but now that i understand my hair i know see why my hair was always a bit limp and greasy looking and had me wanting to wash it after a few days, cause i was overdoing it.
What i will be changing mainly is that i will be using more of my water and olive oil spritzer and coconut oil to seal in concentrating on the ends and i wont be using my butters as often. In a nut shell i will not be moisturising as often as i was before but will ensure that my hair does remain hydrated.

Wish me luck.


African Threading - Styled
My go to hair style will be lots of 'mabhanzi' as we call them neatly tied away. I like it.


Before Styling

No comments:

Post a Comment