Friday 13 March 2015

My Favourite Oil - Coconut Oil

Very few things in life get me as excited as a jar of coconut oil. No, not because I’m basic, but because this stuff is actually, really, really that good.
First thing I’m asked when I talk about this stuff is where do I buy it. Coconut oil is available at most Pharmacies though i doubt the pureness of it, Vitamin Bar health food stores such as ZimSpice . I buy my coconut oil at a Venus Beauty in Belgravia $18 for 500g

Second thing I’m asked is ‘is it supposed to be hard?’. Yes. It hardens in cooler temperatures. If you scoop out a little and rub it between your palms, it liquifies. During summer, it’s almost always liquid.
Why is coconut oil this amazing?
  • Because it’s an oil, it can’t be classified as a moisturizer (like water), but it’s one of the best – if not the best! – natural oil for locking/ sealing moisture into your hair;
  • Is your hair always mince-ing? Coconut oil is great at blocking moisture from the air from penetrating your hair, so your great style won’t be ruined by humidity or weather conditions;
  • It makes your hair stronger because it can bind to your hair’s protein structure;
  • If you use is BEFORE you wash your hair, in a pre-shampoo or hot oil treatment, it can help minismise the damage your hair potentially faces due all the manipulation and handling it goes through on wash day;
  • If, like me, you’re dealing with porosity issues, this is the oil to use as a general all purpose oil.
How I use coconut oil: 
  • Detangler: I’m one of those ridiculous people who dry finger detangles and this oil just makes my knots and tangled curls melt;
  • Sealant: During summer, this is my go-to oil for sealing in moisture and doing the LOC method;
  • Hot oil treatments and scalp massages: Due to my position as The World’s Laziest Natural, these don’t happen regularly, but, when they do, coconut oil features prominently;
  • ‘Hair Food’: You know when you go get your hair braided and the stylist wants to reach for her mineral oil-laden hair food or Vaseline to base your scalp or help lubricate her hands to work faster? Hand her a jar of this stuff instead;
  • Shine Serum: On the rare occasion that I’ve straightened my hair, I spread a few drops of this in my palms and smooth over my hair every day. Good at keeping flyaways at bay and adds shine without having to reach for a silicone-based product;
  • Body Moisturiser: When your skin feels a bit meh, smooth some of this over it. Lavishness.
  • Eye Make Up Remover: Because I’m addicted to cat eye liner, I’m constantly on the look out for ways to remove all the gunk without ripping my eyelids apart. This stuff is so good at removing eye make up without spending hours rubbing at your sensitive eye area.

No comments:

Post a Comment